24 August 2021
The American Center of Research, an American nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing knowledge of Jordan past and present, seeks a Communications Lead. The position is full-time (1.0 FTE) and located at our center in Amman, Jordan. The position reports to the Executive Director.
ACOR’s primary activities include hosting a comprehensive academic fellowship program, administering a small hostel, and implementing cultural resource and humanities projects. The center in Amman serves as a vibrant meeting and living place for international academics and students working on research, education, and training, and it hosts a major library as well as regular lectures and outreach activities.
ACOR seeks to hire a communications professional to serve as the primary point of contact for virtually all institutional and project-based matters related to external communications (e.g., press releases, web pages, blogs, social media, newsletter, management of digital footprint) to a diverse and internationally facing constituent community including Americans, Jordanians, and other nationalities: presenting “the voice” of ACOR to the public.
- Nurture a positive, engaging, and productive working environment.
- Maintain ACOR’s apolitical and areligious position across all platforms.
- Develop and implement communications strategies and initiatives aligned with the overall organizational strategy and mission.
- Unify all project-based social media and public-facing internet content under the single banner of the organization itself.
- Support current and future organizational needs through the implementation of high-quality communications of interest to our diverse audiences.
- Draft, implement, and educate staff about communications policies.
- Supervise and develop project-based communications staff.
- Coordinate the design, drafting, and sending/posting of marketing and communications content (e.g., project announcements, newsletter articles, blogs, web pages, postal mailings, annual donor appeal).
- Recruit others to contribute quality communications content.
- Review potential content for quality and appropriateness.
- Assist in planning and organizing public events (in person and digitally).
- Review, revise, and develop organizational branding strategy.
- Supports development activities and related reporting.
- Grow our Arabic-language offerings, as well as improve vision/hearing-impaired access to extant and future content.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
- Excellent active listening, writing/editing, and presenting skills.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (e.g., English, graphic design, communications, marketing)
- Minimum of 5 years of experience (after university) in a professional communications capacity.
- Demonstrated ability to multitask, manage multiple social media accounts, attend the needs of multiple projects, meet tight deadlines, and pivot based on developments.
- Ability to maintain a schedule of consistent and reliable communications activities.
- Knowledge of communications best practices for nonprofit organizations.
- Experience with programs/platforms such as: WordPress, Mailpoet, Zoom, Dropbox, SurveyMonkey, Otter.ai, Hootsuite, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
- Written and spoken fluency in English is required.
- Written and spoken fluency in Arabic is desired.
How to Apply:
Please send a letter of interest, names and contact information for two references, current/most recent salary, a sample of your communications products/social media creations, example list of communications-related programs/platforms in which you are competent, and current resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please. This position includes benefits, such as social security/retirement, health insurance, paid annual vacation, and holidays. Salary will be based on experience.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until filled.
Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required prior to employment.
ACOR is an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions including hiring, termination, promotion, and wages and privileges will be made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, or any other classification protected by law.