Now Hiring: Librarian and/or Archivist
For more information please visit: https://acorjordan.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/2024-Librarian-archivist.pdf
The American Center of Research, a nonprofit institution dedicated to advancing knowledge of Jordan and the interconnected region, past and present, seeks a Librarian and/or Archivist. This full-time position requires residence in Amman, Jordan, and is in charge of the library and archives, which includes substantial digital holdings. The candidate will supervise staff, oversee active grants and projects, and manage a ca. 45,000-volume public library that receives thousands of visitors annually.
- Oversee and monitor library and archive facilities including daily operations.
- Provide reference research assistance and instruction to users and build relationships with similar libraries and institutions.
- Purchase and catalog new acquisitions, maintain and develop library and archival collections (including serial holdings) in support of ACOR’s mission.
- Plan and implement evening library hours to enhance public accessibility to our resources.
- Update and modernize (when needed) information resources at ACOR.
- Liaise with the Library and Archive Committee on a regular basis.
- Seek new projects, collections, and funds for library and archive activities or collections.
- Promote the library and archives through social media, events, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will be a primary point of contact for ACOR fellows and residents, as well as international and local scholars and students, and will assist in organizing and hosting events (e.g., lectures, workshops), overseeing or assisting in the facilitation and implementation of projects, managing digital data, and advancing other core initiatives of the organization. Additional duties will be assigned as needed. The candidate is expected to contribute new ideas for the future and benefit of the organization, including developing grant proposals.
Qualifications and Experience:
Anyone with sufficient relevant experience will be considered. In all cases, the following are required:
- Postgraduate degree in library science, library and information science or a related field is strongly preferred (e.g., MLS, MLIS). A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in LIS, LS, or similar from an ALA-accredited (or international equivalent) institution is required.
- Particularly beneficial is experience with archaeological, historical, linguistic, and sociocultural research, or other similar fields. Experience facilitating research by North Americans is important.
- Prior experience in or working with content related to the Near or Middle East is beneficial.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required; proficiency in Arabic is not required.
- Experience working with cataloging software, DAMS, JSTOR, and MARC21, or similar, are valuable and should be noted in the application if/when applicable.
Salary and Benefits: This is a full-time position (1.0 FTE), resident in Amman, Jordan. The total compensation value will be approximately $70,000 to $75,000 annually, which includes salary (expected range $40,000 to $47,500), comprehensive health insurance, social security (U.S. or Jordan), an annual roundtrip airfare to the home country, securing residency and work permits in Jordan, dental insurance, a retirement plan, annual paid vacation based on length of service, annual paid sick leave, holidays, lunch served daily, and other benefits. The specific salary will be based on experience (note: if the successful candidate is a U.S. taxpayer, the salary can be exempted from U.S. income taxes, provided that certain qualifications are met, increasing the value of the salary significantly). Lodging can be provided at our center in Amman initially, during relocation, but is not expected to be provided in perpetuity.
To apply: Please send a letter of interest, names and contact information for two references, and current resume or CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. References will be contacted directly by us, as needed. Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
All nationalities are encouraged to apply.
Review of applications will begin January 7th and continue until the position is filled.
The American Center of Research is an equal-opportunity employer. Employment decisions including hiring, termination, promotion, and wages and privileges will be made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, or any other classification protected by law. The American Center of Research is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in employment for individuals with disabilities.
Posted 6 December 2023