Updated April 2017
This position has been filled. Thank you to all the individuals who applied.
The American Center of Oriental Research (ACOR) is a non-profit academic institute located in Amman near the University of Jordan. Its mission is to advance knowledge of Jordan past and present. The center serves as a meeting and living place for academics working on research, education, and training and hosts a major library as well as regular lectures and outreach activities. For more information see www.acorjordan.org.
ACOR is seeking a capable individual to be the Administrator starting immediately. The primary role of the Administrator is to ensure the smooth running of the center’s administrative affairs, including the management of the ACOR hostel, and to coordinate with relevant staff in the areas of designated responsibility. The Administrator works closely with all staff and is under the direction of the Director and the Chief Financial Officer. The position entails many responsibilities, many of which are outlined below.
- Office administration and facilitation (internal), including reception, billing, cash register, inventory control, and email exchanges
- Administration (external), including insurance contracts, government letters, banking, shipping and courier services, custom clearances, quotation for services or purchases
- Interface with ACOR Staff, including maintaining personnel files, processing payroll, and email triage for senior management and coordinating housekeeping and kitchen staff
- Management of ACOR Hostel, including reservations, hostel services, airport transfers, follow up on bills and payments, and tracking requests
- Review the the detailed job description here.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Familiar with databases and MS office suite
- B.A. or B.S. degree
- Administrative experience (minimum 3 years)
- HR skills very desirable
- Careful attention to detail and good listener as well as self-starter
- Evidence of effective planning and organizing of workload/flow
- Fluency in English and Arabic (including good writing skills)
- Interest in heritage (not required but beneficial)
- Jordanian citizenship or valid residency and work permit in Jordan desirable
Applicants should send a current resume including the names of two current references and a letter expressing interest addressed to ACOR Director, Dr. Barbara A. Porter, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please. This position will be filled as soon as the selected candidate accepts. Note: This is a full-time rolling position based on the successful completion of a three-month trial period and annual review. Regular hours of work are Sunday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. The salary range is 800 to 1400 JD per month based on prior experience. Benefits include Jordanian health insurance and social security and Jordanian labor law applies.