Now Hiring: Outreach Project Archivist
This page has been archived on 5 June 2022. For updated information about active job searches, please see acorjordan.org/careers.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
The American Center of Research (ACOR), a nonprofit institution dedicated to advancing knowledge of Jordan’s past and present, seeks an Outreach Project Archivist. This part-time position in Amman, Jordan, is primarily intended to assist the organization in the implementation of a digital archives grant.
The ACOR Digital Archive: Developing a Multimedia Teaching and Learning Resource project, supported by a four-year grant from the U.S. Department of Education, will process, digitize, and make freely available approximately 18,600 multimedia objects (including photographs, audio and videotapes, and born-digital files) of relevance to regional cultural heritage and archeology.
The Outreach Project Archivist will be expected to, among other duties:
- Contribute to the item-level description of digitized materials, as well as the creation of finding aids in Arabic, and translate existing English metadata into Arabic;
- Add content and links from the ACOR Photo Archive to relevant English- and Arabic-language Wikipedia pages with appropriate and accurate descriptions;
- Working with the Librarian and other team members, prepare online exhibits using ACOR Photo Archive content to add to Google Arts and Culture;
- Contribute to the creation of promotional materials for the collection, including print media and social media posts to be shared on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for The American Center of Research’s audience (currently 7,000+ followers across the three platforms); and
- Assist in the production of one (1) Arabic glossary of subject terms relevant to the archival collections to be published via the open-access archive platform.
Preferred Qualifications and Skills:
- University graduate in cultural resource management, heritage, or archeology; library and archival sciences; translation; or related degree program. MA level preferred.
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop/Lightroom, Bridge), collaborative working tools (e.g., Google Drive, OneDrive), and MS Office programs (particularly Excel). Knowledge of digitization tools and equipment is desirable but not required.
- Demonstrable experience with English-Arabic translation and independent research. Verbal, and written communication skills and proven attention to detail. Fluency in Arabic and English is required.
- Experience or interest in archaeology, architecture, photography, digital media, and archives.
This position is half time (.5 FTE) and grant funded. Physical presence in Amman, Jordan, is required. Travel expenses are not covered.
Please send a letter of interest as a PDF, names and contact information for two references, and a current CV or resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
The American Center of Research is an equal employment opportunity employer. Employment decisions including hiring, termination, promotion, and wages and privileges will be made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, or any other classification protected by law.
Proof of completed vaccination for COVID-19 is required prior to employment.
To learn more about the American Center’s previous archival projects (2016–2020), please visit photoarchive.acorjordan.org.
Posted: 14 February 2022.