Now Hiring: Ceramicist
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
The American Center of Research, a nonprofit institution dedicated to advancing knowledge of Jordan and the interconnected region, past and present, seeks a Ceramicist for its collaborative effort to analyze and publish our historic field projects. If and as time permits, portions of this position may be made available to other projects with pending ceramic publication needs. This new full-time (1.0 FTE) position, resident in Amman, Jordan, is intended to assist the organization in the implementation of its mission and work toward future growth.
- Reviewing the reports of projects implemented by ACOR, whether published or not.
- Developing a clear action plan with a timeline for requested objectives.
- Working on classifying pottery according to current standards.
- Producing reports, including drawings and photos of the distinctive pottery sherds/objects.
- Producing manuscripts for publication with references, parallel examples, and analyses.
- Creating ceramic sequence with chronology for ACOR’s ceramic corpus, where possible.
- Helping ACOR’s fellowship committee to assist other legacy projects to bring their ceramic works to print.
Qualifications and Experience:
Anyone with sufficient experience will be considered. An undergraduate degree in archaeology or a directly related field is required; a postgraduate degree (at least a master’s degree) is strongly preferred. In all cases, the following is required:
- Prior published work as a ceramicist.
- At least five years’ relevant experience working directly with ceramics is required; a combination of formal education and demonstrable work experience is accepted and should be explained in the cover letter.
- A demonstrated capacity for the timely completion of complex tasks is required.
- Fluency in spoken and written English is required; capacity in Arabic is not required, but helpful.
The successful candidate will be required to represent the work in varied public, private, governmental, and academic venues and must be able to articulate the American Center’s values and mission. Demonstrated experience working with varied stakeholders, including scholars, government officials, and the public, is important and should be spoken to by references (if asked).
To apply: Please send a letter of interest, names and contact information for two references, and current resume or CV to email@example.com. References will be contacted directly by us, as needed. Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. Salary will be based on experience. The American Center of Research contributes to social security/retirement, provides health, life, and dental insurance, annual paid vacation, holidays, and other benefits.
All nationalities are encouraged to apply.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Expected start date is December 2022. Proof of completed vaccination for COVID-19 is required prior to employment.
The American Center of Research is an equal-opportunity employer. Employment decisions including hiring, termination, promotion, and wages and privileges will be made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, or any other classification protected by law. The American Center of Research is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in employment for individuals with disabilities.
Posted 19 September 2022