4 November 2021
The American Center of Research, a non-profit dedicated to advancing knowledge of Jordan past and present, seeks an Accountant. This is a new full-time position at our center in Amman, Jordan. The position reports to the Chief Financial Officer and will primarily manage grants accounting and reporting, reviewing accounting vouchers, tracing, reviewing ledgers, data analysis, budget and generate monthly, quarterly, semiannual or annual financial reports.
The American Center’s primary activities include hosting a comprehensive academic fellowship program, administering a small hostel with daily meal service, and implementing cultural resource and humanities projects. The center in Amman serves as a vibrant meeting and living place for international scholars and students working on research, education, and training, and it hosts a major library as well as regular lectures and outreach activities.
The Accountant is an important member of the accounting department and responsible for vouchers review, tracing, reviewing ledgers, data analyses, grants financial records keeping, grants sheets and reports, and other aspects of the American Center’s financial reporting. The Senior Accountant will work closely with the CFO and other accountants at various levels.
- Nurture a positive and productive working environment.
- Accounting vouchers review.
- Ensure journal entry information is complete and accurate and verify accuracy of supporting documentation.
- Assist with day-to-day operations of the accounting department and the period end processes and completion/coordination of assigned closing tasks.
- Monitor and review accounting documents for accuracy, completeness, and compliance with Federal and state regulations, funding agency standards, county policies, and control practices.
- Payroll processing, entries, and follow up.
- Bank statement reconciliation.
- Preparing financial analyses and reports.
- Managing accounts and bookkeeping ledgers.
- Maintaining and reconciling financial statements and general ledger accounts.
- Grants financials, records, sheets, and grants reporting.
- Assisting with financial activities and financial statements.
- Assisting with annual audit preparations.
- Assisting with preparing and monitoring budgets.
- Other tasks as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
- University degree (BA) in accounting or related. Minimum of 8 years of experience in accounting.
- Demonstrated hands-on experience with accounting software and data entry
- Solid data entry skills with an ability to identify numerical errors.
- Accuracy, attention to detail, ability to multi-task, and meet critical deadlines.
- Individuals must be proficient in Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Not-for-profit fund accounting experience and prior work with USAID grants or projects in desired.
- Written and spoken fluency in English is required.
- Written and spoken fluency in Arabic is desired.
How to Apply
Please send a letter of interest, names and contact information for two references, current/most recent salary, and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please. This is a full-time position (1.0 FTE), with benefits including social security/retirement, health insurance, paid annual vacation, and paid holidays. Salary will be based on experience.
Review of applications will begin December 2, 2021, and continue until filled.
Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required for employment.
The American Center is an equal-employment-opportunity employer. Employment decisions including hiring, termination, promotion, and wages and privileges will be made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, or any other classification protected by law.